VLOOKUP in a separate sheet not working

Hi,

I have created a sheet where I have a series of checkboxes on each row where each checkbox represents a particular service that we provide. I then have a column function that is meant to add up all the services selected by checking the checkboxes. The function works in general, but I am experiencing a really weird "bug". If I use certain words in the lookup function as the lookup value the function returns "#NO MATCH". I have cross checked the words I'm using to look up the values with the "key" in the reference sheet and they appear to be correct.

I initially had the "code" as the primary column which I thought might be the problem, so I rebuilt the sheet with the "code" as a single select dropdown and the service name as the primary column. This didn't help either.

The only way that I can get the VLOOKUP to work is to change the lookup values entirely. When I changed the lookup values to C1,C2,C3,C4, and C5 and updated the reference sheet to those codes in the key column it all works fine. If I use the lookup values I wanted to use (Full, Essential, Basic, AppMaint and AppSupport) it fails and I get the "#NO MATCH" error. All I'm doing is changing the lookup value in the double quotes for each lookup and the matching value in the reference sheet so I can only assume that there is something weird going on with the lookup.

Here is the formula that works (with the lookup code in column 1, the name in column 2 and the price that I am trying to extract in column 3)

=IF(Full@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("C1", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF(Essential@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("C2", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF(Basic@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("C3", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF([App Maint]@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("C4", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF([App Support]@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("C5", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)

Here is the formula that fails:

=IF(Full@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("Full", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF(Essential@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("Essential", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF(Basic@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("Basic", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF([App Maint]@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("AppMaint", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)+IF([App Support]@row, VALUE(VLOOKUP("AppSupport", {Managed Services Price Book CodeNamePrice}, 3)), 0)

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @GrahamW

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!