COUNTIFS with multiple criteria

Options

I need help with creating a formula where there are several criteria based off two different things. My columns are "Received from LO" needs to be yes and "Document Type" is several criteria "Lease"; "Easement"; "Option"; and "Easement Option". I can't seem to figure it out. I have the first one done, but can't figure out how to get the multiple criteria in one formula.

=COUNTIFS([Document Type]:[Document Type], ="Lease", [Received from Counterparty]:[Received from Counterparty], ="Yes")

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tina

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Tina Chamblee

Try this:

=COUNTIFS([Document Type]:[Document Type], OR(@cell = "Lease", @cell = "Easement", @cell = "Option", @cell ="Easement Option"), [Received from Counterparty]:[Received from Counterparty], "Yes")

If this hasn't worked, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet showing the Document Type column, but please block out sensitive data. (For example, if this is a multi-select column we'd actually need to use the HAS function as well).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Hayley B
    Hayley B ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Tina!

In your argument above, it shows [Document Type]:[Document Type], ="Lease".

Having , ="Lease" is being read as wrong because the comma and equal sign essentially serve the same purpose here. Try this. 😊

=COUNTIFS([Document Type]:[Document Type], "Lease", [Received from Counterparty]:[Received from Counterparty], "Yes")

• Tina Chamblee
    Options

I also need for it to count where Document Type is "Easement" and "Option" and "Easement Option" where Received from Counterparty is Yes. Do you know how to do that?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Tina Chamblee

Try this:

=COUNTIFS([Document Type]:[Document Type], OR(@cell = "Lease", @cell = "Easement", @cell = "Option", @cell ="Easement Option"), [Received from Counterparty]:[Received from Counterparty], "Yes")

If this hasn't worked, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet showing the Document Type column, but please block out sensitive data. (For example, if this is a multi-select column we'd actually need to use the HAS function as well).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!