Countifs and Isblank is not working

Options

I am using a formula in a column, "Repeat Values" that checks another column, "Document Number", for repeat values and if there are repeat values it checks the checkbox in the "Repeat Values" column. This formula is somewhat working, but also checks the box for all blank cells in the "Document Number" column.

=IF(COUNTIFS([Document Number]:[Document Number], [Document Number]@row) > 1, 1)

I also have a conditional format that checks for checked boxes and if the box is checked, it highlights the repeats in the "Document Number" column. It is also highlighting the blank cells.

I'm not sure if it is doing this because there is also a formula in the "Document Number" column or what.

Any advise on how to modify the formula so it doesn't check the box if the "Document Number" column is a blank field?

Best Answer

• Joni S
    Joni S ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Genevieve P. ,

It did not work. However I kept plugging away trying to figure it out between yesterday and today and this finally worked.

=IF(ISBLANK([Document Number]@row), 0, IF(COUNTIFS([Document Number]:[Document Number], [Document Number]@row) > 1, 1))

Thank you!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Joni S

We can add a second IF statement at the beginning of your formula to say that If the Document Number cell is blank, return blank, otherwise...calculate the rest of your formula.

Try this:

=IF([Document Number]@row = "", "", IF(COUNTIFS([Document Number]:[Document Number], [Document Number]@row) > 1, 1))

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Joni S
    Joni S ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Genevieve P. ,

It did not work. However I kept plugging away trying to figure it out between yesterday and today and this finally worked.

=IF(ISBLANK([Document Number]@row), 0, IF(COUNTIFS([Document Number]:[Document Number], [Document Number]@row) > 1, 1))

Thank you!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Joni S

Thanks for letting us know and for posting your solution!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!