Is there any API to get the sheets with the exact name and location?

Options

I wanted to get the list of the sheets with the exact name I provide , also from the exact location either from workspace, folder or home. By exact name I mean returned sheets name should match complete string with given name and not just contain that string.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Roshan

You can use the Get / Search method to look for exact text by adding double quotes around the text you're looking for: https://smartsheet.redoc.ly/tag/search

However Search will return any Smartsheet item with that exact text, including values in cells. You'll want to then check the objectType and make sure it's "sheet". The contextData will identify where the sheet is located in regards to the Workspace (either general "Sheets" or another Workspace), and then following folders.

For example, if I was looking for my report called "Report for Calendar App" this is what I would do:

https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/search?query="Report for Calendar App"

Returns:

{
        "results": [
            {
                "text": "Report for Calendar App",
                "objectType": "report",
                "objectId": xxx,
                "contextData": [
                    "Genevieve's Testing Workspace > Calendar Sheets"
                ]
            }
        ],
        "totalCount": 1
    }

My Workspace is Genevieve's Testing Workspace and the folder is Calendar Sheets.

Here's an example if I look for the text "Task 1". It shows a Sheet and a Row with this exact text. You can see that my Sheet is located in the general home "Sheets" folder.

https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/search?query="Task 1"

{

"results": [

{

"text": "Task 1",

"objectType": "sheet",

"objectId": xxxx,

"Sheets"

]

},

{

"text": "Task 1",

"objectType": "row",

"objectId": xxx,

"parentObjectType": "sheet",

"parentObjectId": xxx,

"parentObjectName": "Find Date",

"Task 1"

]

},

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Roshan
    Roshan ✭✭
    Options

How we can use the location attribute in the search API?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Roshan

The Search results will return contextData that identifies the location of the sheet. Is this what you meant?

• Roshan
    Roshan ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

In the search Everything API, there is a parameter called location. Could you tell me how to use it? I'm not sure if I can use this parameter to filter the result instead of iterating the API response by checking contextData.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Roshan

Would you be able to identify where you see the "location" parameter in the current API Documentation?

In the Search Everything documentation the only parameter specified is the query string to search for:

The StackOverflow community may have some additional examples of how to use the Search Everything request.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Roshan
    Roshan ✭✭
    Options

This is one of the document where location parameters is used in search API.

https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?javascript#search-everything

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Roshan

Thank you for clarifying!

This is specific to whether or not the location is in a workspace that the user owns:

location (optional): when specified with a value of personalWorkspace, limits the response to only those items in the user's workspaces.

I don't believe there's a way to use this to identify a specific workspace more than the basic filter.

Cheers,

Genevieve