Linking Microsoft Documents to Smartsheet Dashboard / Works

Hi,

I am trying to link ppt and a word document on a smartsheet dashboard and workapp. I am getting the following error

how can i resolve this?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Christine Odongo
    Answer ✓

Hi Brett! Thank you so much for you help! I just learned that my organization does not allow us to share documents publicly, hence i cannot upload ppts into Smartsheet dashboard.

I will utilize the shortcut widget instead.

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

Hey Christine, hope you're doing well. Since no one has answered this yet, I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring here. My "day job" is with a Microsoft Gold Partner IT consultancy company named Netrix, so hopefully I can get you headed down the right path.

For this answer I break this into two parts: Embedding vs. Linking and Error resolution.

Embedding vs. Linking

Could you clarify something for me? When you say:

I am trying to link ppt and a word document on a smartsheet dashboard and workapp.

It appears you're actually trying to embed the files (that is, show a live preview on a Dashboard) with what you've selected above. Is that accurate or no?

When you went to add the links, did you select "Shortcut" or "Web Content"? From the looks of it, I think you selected Web Content. If you're just wanting a hyperlink to the docx and pptx files, you'll want to use Shortcut.

For context, here's what they look like from the "Add Widget" menu on a Dashboard:

Shortcut:

Web Content:

Error resolution

Can you clarify the following for me:

• The links to the files (the .docx and the .pptx) you're using, are they directly from OneDrive, Teams, or SharePoint?
    • If yes, they're from OneDrive or SharePoint - for each file, are the permissions set to "Anyone with the link"? Smartsheet isn't a part of Microsoft's stack of products, so any Embedded files on Smartsheet Dashboards need to have a permission set to Public. Simply using the link as a Shortcut does not require any permissions to change.
      • In OneDrive or SharePoint, right click each file and select "Copy Link". Then you'll get a menu similar to this:
    • Click the portion I crudely highlighted.
    • Then select "Anyone with the link". Press "Apply" then copy the link. This link will work on a Smartsheet dashboard.

NOTE:

• Many organizations do not allow a "Public" sort of sharing from Microsoft 365 (SharePoint, OneDrive, etc.) due to security concerns. My org allows this sort of sharing from OneDrive but not SharePoint (or Teams).

Let me know if this clears it up or if you've got more questions!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Christine Odongo
    Answer ✓

Hi Brett! Thank you so much for you help! I just learned that my organization does not allow us to share documents publicly, hence i cannot upload ppts into Smartsheet dashboard.

I will utilize the shortcut widget instead.