Project Management Office - Intake Sheet Numbering

:-( ... I am currently using the Project Management Office Template Set, which is pretty great. However, I didn't realize you could change the numbering scheme before you started. I was given the advice that if I wanted to fix the numbering scheme with my current project load (about 38 project), that I would have to delete the current column and create a new one.

Soooo.... I did just that and now my intake sheet is just not working properly and all of my formulas on every project are messed up... I'm so frustrated right now. I don't even know where to begin with fixing this. 😭

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 11/02/21

Hi @DA_Associates_PM

It sounds like you deleted the Project ID column from the Project Intake Sheet, is that correct?

If so, what happened is that all of your folders that have a Project Metadata Sheet have a broken link because the Project ID column they were looking to find the unique value to match Project information with disappeared.

That's ok, you can add in a new Project ID column with the naming convention you'd prefer, using the Auto-Number System Column and configuring this:

Keep in mind this will now assign a NEW ID with your new numbering system to all of your projects. Once you have a column to reference in all your other folders, the next step is updating the Cross Sheet References.

For example, in each project's Metadata sheet, you'll need to find the cross sheet reference called {Project ID}. Click on it and click Edit Reference to go find your newly created column:

See: Cross-sheet formulas. You'll need to manually do this in every single sheet that is returning an error.

You will also need to update the Project ID (the cell in blue) to match the new ID for this project. The Template Set instructions have an example of how you can do this.

Let me know if this gets you back on track!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• DA_Associates_PM
    edited 11/02/21

Thank you for your response! That fixed part of my problem!

Now my cell reference from my Project plan to my metadata sheet is not working. I checked the reference and it looks correct. Any thoughts on why this link/reference would not be working?

• Hi @DA_Associates_PM

That specific reference looks to be a cell link, versus a formula, is that correct? If so, you'll need to click on that one cell in the reference window... right now I see the entire row referenced.

See: Cell Linking

• @Genevieve P. Thank you so much, I think I have the sheet up and running again.

There's one more thing bothering me. I was testing my intake sheet and once I was satisfied, I deleted the test rows. Now the auto-numbering is off! since I deleted the rows, it is skipping and the numbering goes from 37 to 41. WHY do you do this SMARTSHEETS 😣 lol. Can you please tell me if there is a way to go back to 38 so that my numbers will be in order?

• Hi @DA_Associates_PM

No problem! So to re-set the numbers, all you need to do is change your Auto-Number column to be a Text/Number column. Save the sheet. Then change it back to an Auto-Number column, and adjust the starting number to 38:

See: Reset the Auto-Number Column

Cheers,

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P.

Thank you! I just did as you said. Hopefully it works!