Is there a way to count the number of dates in a cell?

Options

I want to include a column that indicates the number of times the due date has been extended, but not sure what would be the best way to do this. The "Fulfillment Due Date History" Column on my sheet has a cross-sheet formula that lists the various due dates if they have changed. Could a formula be set up to count the number of dates in the the history column which is basically the number of extensions?

For example, the first two lines below are requests that have not been extended since the history column is blank. The third line shows a request that has been extended 3 times since there are 3 different dates referenced in the history column. I'd like the number of extensions to be referenced in the "Number of Extensions" column.

Thoughts on a better way to accomplish this are also welcome.

Thank you!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Sara Ross

What formula are you using to return the dates? Are you separating them with CHAR(10)?

If so, I would suggest changing the column type to be a Multi Select. This will bring back the dates as specific, separate values. Then you can COUNT them with COUNTM!

For example:

=IF([Fulfillment Due Date History]@row = "", 0, COUNTM([Fulfillment Due Date History]@row))

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!