Project Health Formula Help

Options

Hello,

I've been struggling with this formula. I borrowed parts from other project tracking templates, but I can't seem to get everything to work together; I keep getting error messages. I'm looking to:

• Project Health turns "Green" for any row that has a Status of "Complete" or if the Target End Date is 1 week out or further
  • Project Health turns "Yellow" for any row that does not have a Status of "Complete", "On Hold", or "Canceled", and the Target End Date is within the next 7 days
  • Project Health turns "Gray" for any row that has a Status of "On Hold" or "Canceled"
  • Project Health turns "Red" for any row that does not have a Status of "Complete", "On Hold", or "Canceled", and the Target End Date is within the next 3 days or is in the past
  • Project Health is “blank” for any row where the Status and Target End Date cells are empty
  • Additionally, if the row has a hierarchy of “1” it should show the average health of its children tasks.

=IF(Hierarchy@row = 1, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 0, "Red", IF(AND(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") = 0, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 0), "Yellow", IF(AND(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") = 0, COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") > 0), "Green", "Gray"))),=IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF(OR(Status@row = "On Hold", Status@row = "Canceled"), "Gray",IF(ISBLANK(Status@row),””,IF(ISBLANK([Target End Date]),””, IF([Target End Date]@row< TODAY(3), "Red", IF([Target End Date]@row <= TODAY(7), "Yellow", "Green"))))

TIA for any help – I’m so formula illiterate.

Thank you! 

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This should fix that...

=IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF(AND(Status@row <> "", [Target End Date]@row <> ""), IF(Hierarchy@row = 1, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red")> 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow")> 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green")> 0, "Green", "Gray"))), IF(OR(Status@row = "On Hold", Status@row = "Canceled"), "Gray", IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(3), "Red", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(7), "Yellow", "Green")))))))

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are actually pretty close. Lets give this a whirl...

=IF(Hierarchy@row = 1, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red")> 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow")> 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green")> 0, "Green", "Gray"))), IF(OR(Status@row = "On Hold", Status@row = "Canceled"), "Gray", IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(3), "Red", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(7), "Yellow", "Green")))))

• Jessica Takata
    Options

Thank you, Paul! I'm no longer getting the error message and it appears to be working as intended. :)

One last question: is there a way to tell the cell to appear "blank" if the Status and Target End Date cells are empty? It's just so I can copy down the formula for future entries without having a column of red circles.

Thank you!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is tucked away on the child row portion which should be feeding up to the parent rows. Is that not working?

• Jessica Takata
    Options

It doesn't look like it, but I could be doing something incorrectly? I added the formula to the first cell under the Health column, and then I copied it down the column. The health circle in the blank rows is appearing as red...

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try this one...

=IF(AND(Status@row <> "", [Target End Date]@row <> ""), IF(Hierarchy@row = 1, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red")> 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow")> 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green")> 0, "Green", "Gray"))), IF(OR(Status@row = "On Hold", Status@row = "Canceled"), "Gray", IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(3), "Red", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(7), "Yellow", "Green"))))))

• Jessica Takata
    Options

That fixed the blank cell issue, thank you! I did notice that the cells with a Status of "Complete" but no Target End Date appear blank now?

I'm sorry - I feel like it's so close now...

Thank you for the help!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This should fix that...

=IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF(AND(Status@row <> "", [Target End Date]@row <> ""), IF(Hierarchy@row = 1, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red")> 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow")> 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green")> 0, "Green", "Gray"))), IF(OR(Status@row = "On Hold", Status@row = "Canceled"), "Gray", IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(3), "Red", IF([Target End Date]@row<= TODAY(7), "Yellow", "Green")))))))

• Jessica Takata
    Options

For some reason, the On Hold and Canceled statuses were affected (not showing Gray anymore), but I just added that part to the beginning, and that seemed to solve the issue.

I ended up with this, and it appears to be working!

=IF(OR(Status@row = "On Hold", Status@row = "Canceled"), "Gray", IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF(AND(Status@row <> "", [Target End Date]@row <> ""), IF(Hierarchy@row = 1, IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Red") > 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") > 0, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Green") > 0, "Green", "Gray"))), IF(OR(Status@row = "On Hold", Status@row = "Canceled"), "Gray", IF(Status@row = "Complete", "Green", IF([Target End Date]@row <= TODAY(3), "Red", IF([Target End Date]@row <= TODAY(7), "Yellow", "Green"))))))))

Thank you very much for all of the help!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad you were able to get it working. Happy to help. 👍️

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!