Data Mesh or Formula - what takes precedence

Roy Charters
Roy Charters ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have taken ownership of a sheet which is updated by a Data Mesh. I do not have access to the Data Mesh and the person who does is not currently available to transfer it to me or delete it.

I changed the columns being updated by the Data Mesh to use lookup formulas because I need the report to update immediately. The Data Mesh is still in place and I would like to know if the formulas will be overwritten or if any other issue will arise.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Roy Charters
    Roy Charters ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the Data Mesh and so cannot check the settings.

However, you did point me in the right direction and I was able to test "Overwrite Existing Data in Target Sheet(s)" = Yes/No. Seems is does not matter one way or the other. If there is a formula in the column a Data Mesh is targeting it will not overwrite the formula.

Thanks

Answers

• DataMesh will only take precedence if you tell it to. You can avoid any overwriting by finding the option "Overwrite Existing Data in Target Sheet(s)" under the Step 4 tab and selecting "No." Also, you can set execution frequency to immediate in the same tab, thus functioning just like VLOOKUP.

I set up a series of dummy sheets and use those to test scenarios like this. This is most helpful for me since I learn best by doing. Then I come here for more support. The great thing is that even when my ideas don't work, I've got an example of it. Sometimes I accidentally discover new tricks!

I hope you find this helpful. Have a wonderful day!

• Roy Charters
    Roy Charters ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the Data Mesh and so cannot check the settings.

However, you did point me in the right direction and I was able to test "Overwrite Existing Data in Target Sheet(s)" = Yes/No. Seems is does not matter one way or the other. If there is a formula in the column a Data Mesh is targeting it will not overwrite the formula.

Thanks