# Invalid Operation

Hi,

I've been getting Invalid Operation. I've been using this formula for other associates. I have the dates columns in column type "Dates" and Status in Dropdown.

Can you assist the reason why I'm getting this error. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Marilen.Navarro103391

I've tested your current formula and the structure is correct, so you have all the right operators in the ROUNDUP(AVG(COLLECT formula.

However, I see that you have a formula calculating the Duration (Day) column. Is it possible that there's an error anywhere in this column? Formula errors are a bit like dominoes... if you have an error in one cell in a column that your top-level formula is referencing, it will display this error, even if your current formula is correct.

Try adjusting your Duration (Day) column formula to have an IFERROR wrapped around it, to see if this then fixes your other formula.

Let me know if this helped!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Marilen.Navarro103391
    Marilen.Navarro103391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Genevieve P.

Thank you. There was an error in one of the cell. You're right! As always, thanks

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Marilen.Navarro103391

I've tested your current formula and the structure is correct, so you have all the right operators in the ROUNDUP(AVG(COLLECT formula.

However, I see that you have a formula calculating the Duration (Day) column. Is it possible that there's an error anywhere in this column? Formula errors are a bit like dominoes... if you have an error in one cell in a column that your top-level formula is referencing, it will display this error, even if your current formula is correct.

Try adjusting your Duration (Day) column formula to have an IFERROR wrapped around it, to see if this then fixes your other formula.

Let me know if this helped!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Marilen.Navarro103391
    Marilen.Navarro103391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Genevieve P.

Thank you. There was an error in one of the cell. You're right! As always, thanks

• @Genevieve P.

Thank you so much Genevieve. I was racking my mind around a similar issue. The formula worked across several rows, but had several #"#INVALID OPERATION"- I even tried to conditional format them white, but that didn't work. As soon as I deleted the unused or non-working formulas from referenced cells, voila! those pesky "#INVALID OPERATION" errors disappeared. I was losing my mind.

• So glad to hear your formula works, now! Thanks for posting 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!