Sheet Summary AverageIF

Options

Good morning,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this AverageIF formula. I am trying to get an average between two columns but only if the location in another column meets certain criteria, this is what i have but i'm getting #UNPARSEABLE

=AVERAGEIF (Location:Location, ="Bonita",[Total Graded]:[Total Graded] [# Titles Processed]:[# Titles Processed]

Essentially i need to divide titles graded by titles processed but only when the location is a specific one.

Hope someone can help me!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Mailynm

An AVERAGEIF needs one column to Average at the end of your statement, it can't read through both at the same time. You can get an Average of each individual column like so:

=AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [Total Graded]:[Total Graded])

and

=AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [# Titles Processed]:[# Titles Processed])

However, I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the "Total Graded" and the "# Titles Processed" columns. You could Sum the output of those two formulas together then divide by 2, like so:

=SUM(AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [Total Graded]:[Total Graded]), AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [# Titles Processed]:[# Titles Processed])) / 2

Is this the result you're looking for?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Mailynm

An AVERAGEIF needs one column to Average at the end of your statement, it can't read through both at the same time. You can get an Average of each individual column like so:

=AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [Total Graded]:[Total Graded])

and

=AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [# Titles Processed]:[# Titles Processed])

However, I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the "Total Graded" and the "# Titles Processed" columns. You could Sum the output of those two formulas together then divide by 2, like so:

=SUM(AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [Total Graded]:[Total Graded]), AVERAGEIF(Location:Location, "Bonita", [# Titles Processed]:[# Titles Processed])) / 2

Is this the result you're looking for?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mailynm
    Mailynm ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for your help!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!