How can I pull all projects associated with one team member into separate rows?

Options

I need a report that shows all projects each employee is associated with under the Team Member column from a multi-select list. Because of the multi-select, I can't run a report and group by Team Member.

My work-around was to create a separate sheet that would just pull every project name associated with the employee on a separate row and I would run the report from there. I found =Join(Collect but it groups the information by commas. Smartsheet doesn't have a text to columns option and with the comma list being 10+ projects long, I couldn't figure out any of the LEFT or FIND formulas to separate the values to separate rows.

@Genevieve P. @Paul Newcome

I'm tagging you both as everything I've come across has your names on it with a solution.

Thanks for your help!

Morgan

Answers

• hollyconradsmith
    hollyconradsmith ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @mtk5200 ,

Would it work to create a report that filters to each individual user, and then place all of those reports on a dashboard? I don't know how many assignees you might have to work with, but this is the "easiest" thing that came to mind.

Holly Conrad Smith

Director of Technology & Innovation 💡 at Streamline

CliftonStrengths Top 5: Deliberative, Restorative, Achiever, Consistency, Harmony

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/10/21
    Options

Hi @mtk5200

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Holly's excellent advice/answer.

• Another option could be to add so-called helper columns that break out the names from the multi-select columns and use that instead to group in a report.
    • A third option could be to use the JOIN COLLECT and break the data into individual rows.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @mtk5200

I agree with the suggestions above! I also answered your comment on another post (here) with a potential solution if you know the max number of projects per-person.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!