COUNTIFS incorrect argument set

Options

Hello,

I am looking to gather metrics from a sheet of QC submissions. I have a very limited understanding of formulas but have managed to put together something that works through looking at examples on here and the tutorials. I have had success with the following formula counting the number of submissions of a certain type (analysis type, in this case finished product) within another sheet and within a certain date range:

=COUNTIFS({QC Log Date Submitted}, IFERROR((@cell), 0) >= DATE(2021, 10, 1), {QC Log Date Submitted}, IFERROR((@cell), 0) <= DATE(2021, 12, 31), {QC Log Analysis Type}, "Finished Product")

When I adapt this formula to count the number 'Accepted' for QC disposition with everything else remaining the same I get the 'Incorrect argument set' error and I am at a bit of a loss as to why this isn't working. Formula below.

=COUNTIFS({QC Log Date Submitted}, IFERROR((@cell), 0) >= DATE(2021, 10, 1), {QC Log Date Submitted}, IFERROR((@cell), 0) <= DATE(2021, 12, 31), {QC Log QC Disposition}, "Accepted")

I thought perhaps it was because there are blank cells in the QC disposition column, but this formula is working which is counting Confirmed OOS in a column that also contains blank cells.

=COUNTIFS({QC Log Date Submitted}, IFERROR((@cell), 0) >= DATE(2021, 10, 1), {QC Log Date Submitted}, IFERROR((@cell), 0) <= DATE(2021, 12, 31), {QC Log Solubility}, "OOS - Confirmed")

All of the columns I am switching between in these formulas are single select dropdowns and restricted to those values only. If anyone can tell me where I am going wrong with this I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @IzzyLawson

The syntax of your formula is correct.

'Incorrect argument set' error can be caused by different length ranges from one criteria to the next. You may want to delete the {QC Log QC Disposition} range from your formula, then click the REFERENCE ANOTHER SHEET link and go back to your source sheet and select that entire column again and re-insert reference.

When I'm trouble shooting a formula, I often delete criteria one by one from the formula, so I can pinpoint the problem. If you delete (just for trouble shooting) everything but the new range and criteria does it give you a count?

Let me know

Kelly

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!