Formula for counting registration types

Hello, I have a registration sheet and I'm trying to calculate the total number of in-person registrants we have and other registration types. What formula should I use for this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Brent Wilson
    Brent Wilson ✭✭✭✭✭

A Report would do this for you...

Brent C. Wilson, P.Eng, PMP, Prince2

Facilityy Professional Services Inc.

http://www.facilityy.com

• Can you please elaborate? The report will be separate by registration type but doesn't give a count of each type.

• Neil Watson
    Neil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The "Summarize" feature has a count option:

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI @Courtney Davis

Brent's idea is good and you can drill into each type. You would go to the summarize feature in the heading of the report, like Neil showed, and from there you can choose to count the types and then collapse the groups while still showing the counts.

Or, you could add a Sheet Summary field (the little book icon on the right of the sheet screen) and do the formula below. The column1 would be the name of Registration Type column and you would enter the type in quotes that would be counted. If you have a lot of types, you might want to put them in a separate Metric Sheet and do a cross sheet reference formula. You would list all the types in one column, and then the formula once, having the type be the value in the first column. The range though would pull from the original sheet. Then you could drag the formula down and get all the counts. This would also be good if you wanted to display these counts on a chart or graph on a dashboard. Just remember, if you add a new type to the original sheet, you'll need to add it to the metric sheet as well.

=COUNTIF([column1]:[column1], "type")

I hope that helps!

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!