Leave blank if none of these...Function

Options

How do I take this function and include so that if all are false the cell stays empty?

=IF(CEO Approval to Re-Open]@row = "Approved", "Green", IF[CEO Approval to Close]@row = "Declined", "Yellow", "Red"))

Best Answer

• Michelle Basson
    Michelle Basson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 01/16/22 Answer ✓
    Options

So if I understand correctly. You have an approval automation on the CEO Approval to re-open column which is either Approved or Declined and you want to have the RYG balls be red if no action has been taken by the approver?

You could add an option to the dropdown such as Submitted or No Action and make that the default option as soon as your automation runs. The RYG ball would then remain red untill the request has been approved or declined.

Would something like this work or must the cell be empty?

Michelle Basson

Smartsheet Overachiever Alumni | Solution Consultant | Lover of everything Smartsheet

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-basson/

Answers

• Michelle Basson
    edited 01/16/22
    Options

Hi @HardWork

Try this

=IF([CEO Approval to Re-Open]@row = "Approved", "Green"; IF([CEO Approval to Re-Open]@row = "Declined", "Yellow", IF([CEO Approval to Re-Open]@row, " ", "Red")))

The " " will detect if there is nothing in the cell and the make the RYG Ball Red.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Have a great day.

Michelle

Michelle Basson

Smartsheet Overachiever Alumni | Solution Consultant | Lover of everything Smartsheet

• HardWork
    Options

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately it did not work. So this is a two stage approval process. Stage one is to approval/deny closure. Then later, stage two is approval/deny to re-open. So two columns the function is looking at.

• Michelle Basson
    edited 01/16/22 Answer ✓
    Options

So if I understand correctly. You have an approval automation on the CEO Approval to re-open column which is either Approved or Declined and you want to have the RYG balls be red if no action has been taken by the approver?

You could add an option to the dropdown such as Submitted or No Action and make that the default option as soon as your automation runs. The RYG ball would then remain red untill the request has been approved or declined.

Would something like this work or must the cell be empty?

Michelle Basson

• HardWork
    Options

Great idea!!! I added in another option and made the function turn a different color if all options are blank!!! Thank you!!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!