How do I insert or delete a row in between rows that have links and it not affect the links?

I am working with a "customer view" and a "master sheet". This sheet allows the customer to only see certain information and update it and the links add the information to the master sheet.

We need to insert rows at times as well as delete rows, but currently when we do this the links stay with the cell/row, but the information moves down causing the entire sheet to be incorrect from that row down. Is there a way to insert or delete a row and for the links to continue to match on both sheets?

Thank you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @rwebster

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

You'd use the Auto-number column in the Source sheet and then add a so-called Helper Column in the Destination sheet and manually add the same numbering for as many rows as you need.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I think this would work, but what would the formula look like when trying to reference over 1200 rows and roughly 15 columns? I think the length/complexity of the formula is what is confusing me.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!