I have two questions regarding a column property and a row change.

Options

1.      Column property

I had set a column to be an auto-number/system – modified date setting. I originally had a Record a date workflow and had some dates already in there. I made the column property change to replace the workflow. Because I did not modify any of the cells/rows and only the column property to auto generate the date it was truly modified, then it came back as the original date. I had to make another admin modification to a workflow with no cell/row data modifications and the entire column changed to the current date. Why did it override the original dates if I did not modify anything in the actual sheet; I only added or deleted a workflow.

2.      In a sheet with data, a user/editor accidentally Indented a row. Is there a way to track this change to the row? I have reviewed the activity log and there is no activity associated to this update. 

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Maria M.

1 - You're correct, changing a column type or deleting/editing a workflow shouldn't update the Modified Date column.

Is it possible that something else updated that column? For example, do you have a column formula on your sheet that could have updated or changed?

2 - The Activity Log should show you that the Hierarchy has changed, but it won't be able to tell you which row was indented:

It should also be able to help you see what may have been modified!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Maria M.
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. ,

Thank you for your response!

1- Would it change if I changed it from Modified by to Date in column properties? I didn't change any cell/row values.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Maria M.

No, it shouldn't change when you modify a column property. It registers modifications to the content of the rows, not the formatting of the rows. Does that make sense?

Is there any other action that you or someone else could have taken on the rows to trigger the Modified update? (Ex. created a column and applied a Column Formula so that each cell on each row was populated with a value.)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!