Project and Gant; Auto update finish date based on status change

Good Morning!

I have a project timeline with assigned to and task status linked to a task managing sheet. The task manage sheet is where all of the work is logged and tracked. I'm trying to get the project timeline start/finish date to update based on the date a task status is changed to complete.

I tried to use an add date to cell automation, but the project timeline does not consider the start/finish columns to be "date" columns.

Any advice?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Kris V. Le

If I'm understanding you correctly, you would like to use the Record a Date workflow when a status changes for your task.

If so, this action cannot set start and end dates that are automatically calculated using predecessor or parent rollup dependencies. Are you using the Project feature in this other sheet? If you don't need predecessors or dependencies, you can turn this off in your Project Settings. Then your Record a Date workflow should be able to auto-fill these dates.

Keep in mind that this type of workflow can't be triggered by cross-sheet formulas or cell links either, so the status update would need to happen as a manual change.

If you were using a formula to update the Status, what I would suggest doing is have a helper End Date column in your source sheet that uses the Record a Date workflow off the manual change in that sheet. Then you can use a second formula/cell link to bring in this end date to your tracking sheet.

I hope this helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Kris V. Le

If I'm understanding you correctly, you would like to use the Record a Date workflow when a status changes for your task.

If so, this action cannot set start and end dates that are automatically calculated using predecessor or parent rollup dependencies. Are you using the Project feature in this other sheet? If you don't need predecessors or dependencies, you can turn this off in your Project Settings. Then your Record a Date workflow should be able to auto-fill these dates.

Keep in mind that this type of workflow can't be triggered by cross-sheet formulas or cell links either, so the status update would need to happen as a manual change.

If you were using a formula to update the Status, what I would suggest doing is have a helper End Date column in your source sheet that uses the Record a Date workflow off the manual change in that sheet. Then you can use a second formula/cell link to bring in this end date to your tracking sheet.

I hope this helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now