SUM multiple values from a single Cell

Options

I need help summing up multiple values from a single cell. For example, I have multiple numbers that are separated by a comma in a cell. This could be anywhere from 2-10 numbers in a cell. It look like this - 8.95, 125.0, 10.50, and so on.

Smartsheet wizards! I know you can figure this out. Please let me know how to sum up these numbers.

Answers

• Garrett Henke
    Garrett Henke ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Rosas I highly doubt that this is possible due to the fact that the values in the Unit Price column will be set as strings. Therefore Smartsheet sees it as text and not numbers. Are you able to change how the values are pulled into the sheet?

You may be able to use the FIND function to determine where the commas are but I think that it will cause errors when finding the 2nd+ comma.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Rosas

I don't think you'll find a way to do this in Smartsheet (or in Excel for that matter.)

How are the values getting into that cell in the first place? You're pulling them in from somewhere, either by cell link or formula. My suggestion would be to fix the source data. (To separate those values, copy the column into a text file. Open the text file in Excel, and indicate that the commas are the delimiters for the columns.)

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Rosas , did you ever come up with a solution for this? I agree with @Garrett Henke and @Jeff Reisman that having the data come in without commas in the first place would be much preferable, but I'm having an issue with Zapier aggregating multiple list items—comma separated—into a single cell, and if there's an easy way to (in my case) sum the numeric values separated by commas, that could be the simplest solution overall.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!