Copy/paste data from row above

Options

Still new(ish) to Smartsheet - can someone provide a formula or series of steps on how to prefill data in cells that are blank to what is above (no these are not parent rows).

This link shows how I would do it in Excel. but I'm unaware of a "go to special" button here to replicate the process. Thanks so much! - Ilana

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Ilana Vak

There currently isn't a function that will automatically fill a column based on other cells that are filled out in that column.

If this column was a Parent row, then you could use =PARENT([Column Name]@row) in a different column to automatically bring in the blue cell data into child rows. However if these rows are simply random rows, there isn't a way for the sheet to know what cells you want auto-filled down.

You can type in a white cell then drag-fill down until the next blue one (see: Create a Series of Numbers or Dates with Drag-Fill) Keep in mind you won't want to do this starting on the blue cell because it will copy the formatting as well, turning all the white cells blue (unless these are set with Conditional Formatting rules).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Ilana Vak
    Options

Thanks Genevieve - not as simple as Excel, but the formula you provided helped me create the workaround for it so I appreciate it!! :)

• PRDuck
    PRDuck ✭✭
    Options

If you highlight the cell with the value that you want to copy and the empty cells below it that you want to copy the value to, like this:

then click CTRL-D. This will copy the cell at the top of the selection into the rest of the cells selected:

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!