How to copy a parent row without all sub-tasks (children) to a roll-up sheet?

I have some projects and would like to create a summary sheet, so all my projects would be listed with the head data in a roll-up sheet.

To do this I used the automation to copy the head row (1th row) to this roll-up sheet.

But the issue that happened then is, that the whole project with all the rows gets copied to the roll-up sheet because the first row of each of my projects is a parent row with plenty of lines (children) beneath.

Does anybody have an idea how I can solve this issue?

Thanks to everybody who is contributing an idea to a solution!

Best regards

Hans ... from Germany

Picture 1 through 3 shows the the three projects ...

This here shows the automation / work flow

This here shows the Roll-up sheet.

I would just like to have the head row (but not the children beneath here).

Best Answer

Answers

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Porzel Hans,

In each Project sheet, you should create a new "Level" column to determine the level of rows, with formula: =COUNT(ANCESTORS())

In the roll-up sheet, you can create a "move row" workflow to remove all rows that have level 1

Hope that helps

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

• Porzel Hans
    Porzel Hans ✭✭✭✭

Hello Gia,

Thank-you dearly for providing this great and as well smart solution! You described the solution well and that is also greatly appreciated!

Best regards & take care!

Hans ... from Germany

• Artur Pawlicki
    edited 10/04/23

Hello, I would like to get back to this topic. I have the same issue as the author but for some reason my solution which is very similar to the one that is mentioned here is not working. Let's have a look.

I name my tasks using this column and formula inside. Basically:

Main Task = Parent task

Mid Task = the one that has children but one/more parents above also

Detail Task = has no children, but is having a parent or is a separate task not having parent or child.

This way I have only one main task in the project.

Using this workflow my problem is that it copies all tasks, not only Main Tasks. What I am doing wrong? Is this obligatory to add another workflow that is removing all children from the roll up file?