Status Change RYG for Pass or Fail

I have a sheet with 20 different [Pass Fail 1], [Pass Fail 2], [Pass Fail 3], etc.. columns that if any Fail I would like the status RYG to turn Red. Then if all Pass to be Green. I have never created a formula that has a range of columns I want it to validate as a whole. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Jon Mark H
    Jon Mark H ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If the columns are all next to each other you can do this in the RYG column:

=IF(CONTAINS("FAIL", [Pass Fail 1]@row: [Pass Fail 20]@row), "Red", "Green")

This will turn the RYG column ball Red if ANY of the Pass Fail columns have "FAIL" in them, otherwise it will turn green.

Let me know if that helps or you need any further help!

-Jon Mark

Answers

• Jon Mark H
    Jon Mark H ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If the columns are all next to each other you can do this in the RYG column:

=IF(CONTAINS("FAIL", [Pass Fail 1]@row: [Pass Fail 20]@row), "Red", "Green")

This will turn the RYG column ball Red if ANY of the Pass Fail columns have "FAIL" in them, otherwise it will turn green.

Let me know if that helps or you need any further help!

-Jon Mark

• Hi Jon,

They weren't right next to each other. There were columns in between with other parameters. I gave it a shot and it worked beautifully!!! Thank you so much.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!