DataMesh & Locked columns

Susan Vieira
Susan Vieira ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 07/21/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

Will Data Mesh still import appropriately if the some columns in the target sheet are now locked?

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Susan Vieira

Yes, DataMesh will still update cells even if the column is locked. The workflow essentially has "Admin" access on the sheet so it can override the lock.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.

@Susan Vieira

I've just double checked and I realized I tested this on a sheet where I had Admin access and I was the builder of the Workflow.

I believe if the user who built the workflow only has Editor access on the sheet, then no, you wouldn't be able to update the column. It will be based on that user's permission, does that make sense?

• Susan Vieira
    Susan Vieira ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does. In my case, the User is the Owner so we should be all set. Thank You!

• LMC
    LMC ✭✭✭

Is this true for Data Shuttle as well? That the locked columns in the target sheet will still be updated by the Data Shuttle run?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @LMC

It depends on who created the workflow and what permissions they have on the sheet: the sheet Owner or Admin(s) can create Data Shuttle workflows which will update locked columns.

However if the user creating the Data Shuttle workflow has Editor permissions, that workflow will result in an error. For example, I am just an Editor in the Target sheet:

Then the Owner changed me to an Admin and the same workflow ran successfully:

Let me know if that makes sense!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Charlene Stacy
    Charlene Stacy ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading through this I want to verify if the data selected in the Data Mesh will update when the ROW is locked in the target sheet. I have users updating the source sheet through a work app using either a report or dynamic view. The target sheet has automation to lock a row when a trigger occurs to secure the data at that point in time. If the Source sheet is updated after the lock occurs on the Target sheet, will the data mesh occur updating the information on the Target sheet to what is currently listed in the source sheet? OR will the locked row of information remain static and not update because the row is locked from editing? For the other users access is limited only through the workapp, they do not have access to the sheets directly.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Charlene Stacy

It will depend on who built the Data Mesh workflow.

• If the user who created/runs the workflow is an Admin or Owner, any locked columns/rows will updated.
    • If the user who created/runs the workflow is only an Editor, then no, the locked row won't update.

Data Mesh is an automated substitute for the shared collaborator and takes on their permitted actions. Whatever they can do on the sheet, the workflow can do. Whatever they're restricted by, the workflow is restricted by. Does that make sense?