Pre-populating a calendar style view with rows per day and time slots

Options

Hi All,

I want to create a calendar of the year from April 1st till end of December.

Each day of the year will have its own row and then there will be timeslots per 1-hour entry.

So I would have;

April as a Parent

1st of April | 9am - 10am as a Child

1st of April | 10am - 11am as a Child

1st of April | 11am - 12am as a Child

etc

Then repeat with 2nd of April ...

I would then have a claim column further to the right where people can enter their name to take a slot.

Is there an easy way to have this auto-populate?

Or do I need to copy & paste the time time entries & rows per date?

What's the easiest way to create this view in a sheet? Thanks!

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @.Leon.

I would personally use the Drag-Fill option to create this sheet.

You'll first want to create one set pattern of timings, as you've done above. Then highlight all of the cells in the one day pattern, find the corner and drag-fill down your sheet as far as you can go / need to go. This will keep the same pattern going through your entire sheet, similar to using Copy/Paste.

See: Create a Series of Numbers or Dates with Drag-Fill

Then for your dates you'll need to have 2 cells populated with the same date to drag it down until the next day begins. You could also use keyboard shortcuts to "Fill Down" a column, with either Ctrl + D or Command + D.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• .Leon.
    .Leon. ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks - I ended up creating a template for one month in excel, then using EDATE to to clone it for future months, to then paste back into smartsheet.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @.Leon.

I would personally use the Drag-Fill option to create this sheet.

You'll first want to create one set pattern of timings, as you've done above. Then highlight all of the cells in the one day pattern, find the corner and drag-fill down your sheet as far as you can go / need to go. This will keep the same pattern going through your entire sheet, similar to using Copy/Paste.

See: Create a Series of Numbers or Dates with Drag-Fill

Then for your dates you'll need to have 2 cells populated with the same date to drag it down until the next day begins. You could also use keyboard shortcuts to "Fill Down" a column, with either Ctrl + D or Command + D.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• .Leon.
    .Leon. ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks - I ended up creating a template for one month in excel, then using EDATE to to clone it for future months, to then paste back into smartsheet.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!