Formatting Smartsheet

My company uses Smartsheet, which I like using. However, I would like to format the sheet similar to how I was able to set it up in a competitor's software product. Is this possible?

My Finance Department wants me to set up my Smartsheet to show the progress of multiple candidates as they complete tasks and track the length of time it took them to complete the tasks. So, basically a Gantt chart view. But, I want everything to be housed in one sheet.

I have attached an example of what I would like to create. I have looked through the templates and can't find a solution...

Dr. Scott Tierno, D.A., PMP

Director of the Academic Leadership Academy

Unitek Learning

Direct: 949-516-9215

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    edited 04/09/22 Answer ✓

Hi @tiernosc ,

If none of the templates available on our Solution Center seems to adjust to your specific needs, you may want to set your own sheet from scratch. In my example below I was able to replicate the formatting that you propose by using the following functionality from Smartsheet:

Note that although I used a Contact List Column type for the "Person" column, this isn't displayed as a contact because I don't have you on my contact list, but when using this type of column you can add a name and email address pair to create a Contact and the populate the relevant field with this information.

If you wish to add more Candidates you could do so by inserting new Columns to the right of "Candidate 1". In my example I used a Checkbox Column type but you could also use Dropdown Columns and select different statuses instead of binary checked/unchecked as needed.

Although I didn't use this functionality in my example above, you can also apply Conditional Formatting rules to assign a specific formatting to cells, rows or columns. E.g when a status is "In Process" you may have that specific cell coloured in purple automatically.

You may also create a template to be used for upcoming projects if you'd like to replicate the same structure all over for any new Project.

If hope this can offer some guidelines on how to set up your Project sheets.

Cheers!

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    edited 04/09/22 Answer ✓

Hi @tiernosc ,

If none of the templates available on our Solution Center seems to adjust to your specific needs, you may want to set your own sheet from scratch. In my example below I was able to replicate the formatting that you propose by using the following functionality from Smartsheet:

Note that although I used a Contact List Column type for the "Person" column, this isn't displayed as a contact because I don't have you on my contact list, but when using this type of column you can add a name and email address pair to create a Contact and the populate the relevant field with this information.

If you wish to add more Candidates you could do so by inserting new Columns to the right of "Candidate 1". In my example I used a Checkbox Column type but you could also use Dropdown Columns and select different statuses instead of binary checked/unchecked as needed.

Although I didn't use this functionality in my example above, you can also apply Conditional Formatting rules to assign a specific formatting to cells, rows or columns. E.g when a status is "In Process" you may have that specific cell coloured in purple automatically.

You may also create a template to be used for upcoming projects if you'd like to replicate the same structure all over for any new Project.

If hope this can offer some guidelines on how to set up your Project sheets.

Cheers!

Julio