Is there a way to set a character limit allowed in a Multi-Line Text Box in a form?

Best Answer

• AnthroTim
    AnthroTim ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/07/22 Answer ✓

Hi,

No there is no way to set a character limit on the multi-line text box.

However, a bit of digging shows that there is a 4000 character limit by default, irrespective of how many lines you configure. Another test suggests that the maximum height of a mult-line text box is 99 - which is quite a bit taller that the max characters allowed.

Interestingly, the single line text box also has a 4000 character limit.

This seems to be tied to the max length of a text/number field/cell in the underlying Smartsheet, which is also 4000 chars.

Seems like this would make a great Enhancement request!

Tim

anthrotechnic.com

Answers

• AnthroTim
    AnthroTim ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/07/22 Answer ✓

Hi,

No there is no way to set a character limit on the multi-line text box.

However, a bit of digging shows that there is a 4000 character limit by default, irrespective of how many lines you configure. Another test suggests that the maximum height of a mult-line text box is 99 - which is quite a bit taller that the max characters allowed.

Interestingly, the single line text box also has a 4000 character limit.

This seems to be tied to the max length of a text/number field/cell in the underlying Smartsheet, which is also 4000 chars.

Seems like this would make a great Enhancement request!

Tim

anthrotechnic.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/07/22

Hi @Bessie Koch

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Tim's excellent advice/answer.

• If it's in a sheet, you could use the LEN function combined with a formula to show a message and maybe condition formatting to format it when it's close to a limit you set or when it hits the limit. You could also show the number of characters on a live counter.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!