Assigning tasks

I have my smartsheet set up so that the Primary column is "Task name" with 4 monthly tasks listed underneath. The next several columns are client names. Each bookkeeper is responsible for specific clients. I am trying to automatically assign the monthly tasks with the proper bookkeeper and corresponding client. For example the task is "entity up to date and reconciled" and I need Ann assigned to client 1,2,3 for that task and John assigned to client 4,5 and 6 for that task. What is the best way to do this? Would it be using and IF formula? Automated workflow? This is my first sheet I've created so I am not quite sure how to achieve this.

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Heather527

I hope you're well and safe!

How many bookkeepers and clients can you have?

We could use Workflows and the Assign User Action, but probably the best method would be to create a so-called helper sheet with all clients and bookkeepers and use cross-sheet formulas to populate them in the main sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Heather527

I hope you're well and safe!

How many bookkeepers and clients can you have?

We could use Workflows and the Assign User Action, but probably the best method would be to create a so-called helper sheet with all clients and bookkeepers and use cross-sheet formulas to populate them in the main sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you Andree. We have 5 bookkeepers and 20 clients. So I should make a separate sheet listing the Bookkeepers and their tasks and then use the IF formula and click on reference another sheet?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Heather527

Happy to help!

My thinking was to create a helper sheet with the Bookkeepers and what clients they are responsible for and match it against the main sheet.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!