Something is causing the system modified date to change for all row simultaneously.

I have a large smartsheet that gets routinely updated by several people. They make their modifications using reports that filter their rows out so they don't have to page through many rows. There is one automation rule to send an alert when a row is added via one of several forms form.

My mystery is something changed in the past few days and now the modified date in all rows being updated when someone updates their specific rows. Cell history shows their names and timestamp which matches the modified date field value in all rows. What could be triggering this sort of action? Where should I be looking?

Best Answer

• Box2105
    Box2105 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Discovered that one of the two input forms had a column that looked the same but was different ("new/change" on one, "new/changed" on the other). The "new/change" was deleted from the smartsheet as a duplicate but not changed in the input form. When the input form was next used, the "new/change" column was programmatically added back to all rows which then changed the modified dates simultaneously.

Thank you all for your help.

Answers

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do any of your columns have a date based formula or a cross refence that would trigger a cell update when they open the sheet?

• Box2105
    Box2105 ✭✭✭✭

Have not found ant that trigger cell changes (yet). Cross sheet references are outgoing to other sheets where metrics are calculated. No incoming cross sheet references. I do have conditional formatting going one.

• Box2105
    Box2105 ✭✭✭✭

Removed all old incoming links in hopes that it will help. Still have not found any automation that updates all rows when any one to more rows are updated.

• Box2105
    Box2105 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Discovered that one of the two input forms had a column that looked the same but was different ("new/change" on one, "new/changed" on the other). The "new/change" was deleted from the smartsheet as a duplicate but not changed in the input form. When the input form was next used, the "new/change" column was programmatically added back to all rows which then changed the modified dates simultaneously.

Thank you all for your help.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!