How do you filter for a specific word w/o it pulling in things that contain the same letters?

Options

I've created a report to pull only tasks that contain the word COA, but it's also pulling in tasks that just contain that series of letters such as "coating", is there a way to make it clear it is exact word only in the filter or other trick?

Answers

• Christian Graf
    Christian Graf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its difficult when other words match, try using the same formula but black listing those words using an if statement to exclude them.

=IF(AND(value@row <> "coating", value@row <> "coat"), formula)

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any other options here? I am wanting to Filter results by a certain criteria to include in a Workflow.

For example, I want things that contain 'Bar', but not Towbar or Lightbar. I'm scared of the 'black listing' solution proposed by @Christian Graf because I don't know all the values that might be undesired to enter in the formula.

• Melissa Boehl
    Melissa Boehl ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jake Gustafson Have you tried using "is one of" or "equals"

Melissa Boehl

Smartsheet Architect | TurningPoint Energy

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Melissa Boehl. The field I'm trying to filter and eventually work into a Workflow is an Item Description field, so Bar is one piece of a longer description, so those two don't work quite as well. I sub-selected the two records that meet my business logic criteria for now, but I may have to leave that one out of what I'm trying to solution for.

• Christian Graf
    Christian Graf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/15/22
    Options

@Jake Gustafson

=IF(OR(CONTAINS(" Bar", [Primary Column]@row), CONTAINS("Bar ", [Primary Column]@row), AND(CONTAINS("Bar ", [Primary Column]@row)), LEN([Primary Column]@row) = 3), 1, 0)

This may be close to what you are looking for. It looks for the word bar with a space before or after the word. It also captures instances where the description is just “Bar”.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!