Hiding Columns

Hello,

My activity log for one of my sheets showed a user with the permission "Editor" hid one of the sheet columns. I was under the impressions that only Admin permission or higher was able to do so. Does anyone know if this has changed?

Thanks,

Answers

• Hi @Miles Allison

You are correct: only users with Admin or Owner permissions can Hide a column. Here's the Sharing Permission Level Chart that goes through what actions your collaborators can take.

Is it possible your collaborator previously had a different permission and then was changed to Editor after hiding the column?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi @Genevieve P.

No, the user has remained an Editor. It's very strange. I'll unhide the column and then the activity log will show that this user has hidden the column.

• Hi @Miles Allison

Is it possible that multiple users were accessing and saving the sheet at the same time? This could potentially have caused a "merge save" where the sheet saved a number of actions, some of which may have reverted the columns back to being "hidden" and attributing it to the wrong user.

If you can confirm that they were not accessing the sheet at the same time as you, I would suggest reaching out to Smartsheet Support with the sheet URL or unique name, the email address of the shared user, and a screen capture of the activity log.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now