Is there a way for a user to change visible data sets when viewing a Dashboard ?

Hello All, I'm new to Smartsheet and have been trying to become familiar with the basics over the last week or so.

I'd like to know if within a Dashboard its possible for a user to click a graph entry (or some other graphic within the Dashboard) and for a panel within the Dashboard to display the relevant information.

For example clicking a RAG (Red, Amber, Green) symbol and getting the associated information displayed and the bottom of the Dashboard. If clicking the next RAG symbol the relevant information information would instead be displayed at the base of the screen. (That is not all information is displayed- only the data selected).

I would anticipate the column headings / data types to always be the same- but only want the data displayed that relates to a particular Dashboard graphic / chart entry.

Is this possible ? And if so- could someone please point be in the right direction, to how I might go about doing this.

Let me know if you require any further information.

Thanks in advance

JAB10

Best Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @JAB10

I think what you are describing is like "drop down slicers" that are common in PowerBi and other tools like that. I've seen some complex workarounds that mimic that functionality but in normal Smartsheet use, no is the answer. HOWEVER, adding buttons that do the same thing are sometimes better.

I'll give you a quick example. In other tools with slicers, the person might need to check the box on what data to include in the reports. For the RAG example that works, for longer lists of data to include, the risk of accidently leaving something out increases. Smartsheet has reduced that risk but making prefiltered reports as buttons, or links on the dashboard. You can embed the commonly used reports on the dashboard itself and then have less common variables already set up as clickables links below it or wherever. So when you need to see a report for stores opening next month, that are overbudget, grouped by Project Manager, and summarized by original budget; it can already be created and available at the click of a mouse.

It's probably not the answer you were looking for but I've found Smartsheet to be very effective over other tools in this regard.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• JAB10
    JAB10
    Answer ✓

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the response. I suspected this was not an available feature (my own research hadn't yielded any answers).

Appreciate your idea for the workaround and for time and trouble in answering this.

Kindest Regards

John

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @JAB10

I think what you are describing is like "drop down slicers" that are common in PowerBi and other tools like that. I've seen some complex workarounds that mimic that functionality but in normal Smartsheet use, no is the answer. HOWEVER, adding buttons that do the same thing are sometimes better.

I'll give you a quick example. In other tools with slicers, the person might need to check the box on what data to include in the reports. For the RAG example that works, for longer lists of data to include, the risk of accidently leaving something out increases. Smartsheet has reduced that risk but making prefiltered reports as buttons, or links on the dashboard. You can embed the commonly used reports on the dashboard itself and then have less common variables already set up as clickables links below it or wherever. So when you need to see a report for stores opening next month, that are overbudget, grouped by Project Manager, and summarized by original budget; it can already be created and available at the click of a mouse.

It's probably not the answer you were looking for but I've found Smartsheet to be very effective over other tools in this regard.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• JAB10
    JAB10
    Answer ✓

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the response. I suspected this was not an available feature (my own research hadn't yielded any answers).

Appreciate your idea for the workaround and for time and trouble in answering this.

Kindest Regards

John