Using a form to sign up to conduct training

RSmith30
RSmith30 ✭✭
edited 05/27/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

The process I am trying to create is as such:

I need a way for two different levels of employees to be able to sign up to conduct training classes. The classes are mostly different for each employee level, but some overlap to both levels. I have started with an annual calendar by day template and entered a few of the available trainings for testing. I am not sure if this is the best option, but I would like ALL training classes housed on one master sheet. I have the following issues I cannot figure out.

1) I would like the sign up form to only display available training classes. Meaning, once someone has submitted a form to sign up, that class would no longer populate anytime the form is opened again after that.

2) There are different classes available for the two different levels, but some overlap. I believe conditional logic on the form can help, but I don't believe conditional logic can go two layers. Meaning, I have two helper columns that are checkboxes categorizing each individual training class in the different levels. The forms cannot use logic to say that "if you are at this level, look at associated checkbox column, and return the training listed in another column on the same row." I COULD just have two separate forms for the different levels, but that is not ideal and would like to avoid it if possible.

3) The submitted form will populate a new line on the calendar sheet, which is not where I want the information. I really only want the last name and first name to populate on the row of the training class selected. I am not sure what to do.....

Please see the screenshots below to view the form setup I have started and the annual calendar sheet setup. For now the form fields helper text has questions in bold that explain what I envision for the workflow. This is DEFINITELY in it's infancy and I haven't made much progress yet. Any help/pointers/suggestions are extremely appreciated. :)

Thank you!

Ryan S.

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RSmith30

Does your company have Data Shuttle add-on? If so, this is definitely do-able.

For showing certain fields based on choices made in the form, that's done in the form logic of the field where the choices are made. Check it out. It's pretty easy to understand how to use it.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @RSmith30

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Mike's excellent advice/answer.

Another option could be to use a Dashboard/Portal and split it in two and have a Calendar/Sheet on one side and the Form on the other side.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike TV. Thank you for the insights. Unfortunately, we do not have the add-on. I understand how form logic works, I just need to build out the sheet and/or calendar in a way that it recognizes the difference between what has/has not been signed up for.

@Andrée Starå, from a visual management perspective, I REALLY like the idea of a side by side. This would create the one stop shop to sign up for training. I will play around with that and see what needs to be built behind the scenes in order for the workflow to function properly.

Thank you both for the starting advice so far. I'm pretty sure I'll be back for more insights. :)

Ryan

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RSmith30

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree,

I have a similar situation. I want the form to display date options that are not yet assigned to someone. So once a date is picked and the sheet is populated with their contact info, I'd use that data to determine if the date should be displayed in the form or not, for the next person. For that to work, the form needs to have logic that I don't see. I also don't understand how the portal suggestion you mentioned would help either, for the same reasons.

Can you please elaborate?