Trimming all spaces

BradJoseph
BradJoseph ✭✭
edited 05/28/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hi,

I am trying to apply a formula so that when meta data is input it is automatically trimmed to have zero spaces, which I know how to do in excel but does not seem to work in smartsheet.

So, I have a column where we input license plates, but people always add spaces making sorting the column a little annoying as duplicates won't sort properly if there are spaces in one and not in the other.

For example:

If someone inputs the license plate as 'ABC 123' with a space between ABC and 123, I want that space to automatically trim so the plate now reads 'ABC123'

The formula I tried comes out as circular. This is what I have tried:

=SUBSTITUTE([License Plate / Unit Number]1, " ", "")

Thanks if anyone is able to help

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@BradJoseph

I noticed the error now. You're referencing the same cell that contains the formula, which won't work.

You'll have to add a so-called helper column with the formula.

Make sense?

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!