Formula to Remove/Cancel Tasks if Status is N/A

Options
Tony Fronza
Tony Fronza ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/30/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hello! I'm looking for a way to use a formula to remove or cancel tasks if the status of a parent task is N/A. For example, we're creating a project plan but some of the steps do not apply to every client. So, instead of creating multiple templates for each scenario, we want to create a formula that will cancel or remove tasks if the user selects N/A from the status column. In addition to that step, we want to remove any dependencies associated with successor tasks (or remove the durations associated with them to avoid impacting the due dates of the successor tasks).

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Tony Fronza

The way I would do this is to set up a helper column to bring the Parent row Status into each Child row:

=JOIN(ANCESTORS(Status@row), " - ")

Then you can use Conditional Formatting off of those two columns (Status and Parent Status) to make the rows grey or crossed out, etc.

Using formatting would still keep the rows in your sheet. You would then need to manually remove out any dependencies or durations for those rows.

Another option would be to use the Move Row automation to Move the Parent row if it has N/A, which would take the Child rows with it. However this would adjust the number of rows in your sheet so you will likely need to re-do your Predecessors.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Tony Fronza
    Tony Fronza ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, @Genevieve P. ! I'm sorry I didn't see this response until now (I did not receive an email notification). I'll attempt what you've suggested and will keep you posted!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!