Desktop version on a tablet?

Options
Jason B Meidl
Jason B Meidl ✭✭
edited 06/15/22 in API & Developers

We recently bought some cell enabled tablets for our field workers but we can only seem to access the mobile version on the tablets (which is much slower when trying to use it in a desktop manner).

We tried opening chrome and going to app.smartsheet.com but it doesn't look the same its like a mobile web version and not the desktop. Would be bummed if there isn't a work around because that would render these tablets a waste.

Please advise!

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jason B Meidl

Happy to help!

Try something like this.

How to Enable Desktop Site in Chrome Android?

The desktop site view helps in viewing all hidden menus and options just like we see on the desktop. The font size and elements might look smaller since we are visiting a desktop site on the mobile phone.

Here are the steps to view the desktop site in chrome Android:

1. Launch the Chrome browser on Android.
    2. Open any website that you want to view in desktop mode.
    3. Tap on
    4.  for the menu options.
    5. Select the checkbox against the Desktop site.
    1. The page will automatically reload.
    2. The desktop site view will be displayed on the mobile phone.

If you want to switch back to the original mobile view, then just undo the checkbox on step #4. The page will reload and you will see the mobile site view.

Did that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Seth Morth
    Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/18/22
    Options

Hello,

What is the specific make and model of the tablets and the desktop you are using?

Is the browser on the tablet zoomed in more than the desktop, or desktop browser zoomed out more than the tablet?

Did someone perhaps download the Smartsheet App on the tablet instead?

FWIW I am on a tablet right now, and everything looks and feels the same as my desktop web browser.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jason B Meidl

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Seth's excellent advice/answer.

Ensure you've selected Desktop/Web View in the browser if possible.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jason B Meidl
    Options

@Seth Morth and @Andrée Starå

Hey there! The Tablet is a Samsung S7.

I did download the Smartsheet app on these tablets then realized that was pointless because I wanted to use the Desktop/Web based version.

So I asked the employees to stop using the App on the tablet and open up Google Chrome and go to app.smartsheet.com instead. However, when they do it seems to force ask them to either open the App or continue to the mobile web application (which if we selected that looks totally different than the mobile app or desktop versions).

Hopefully that gives you some more info to help because we still haven't resolved this yet.

@Andrée Starå Where/how do I select Desktop/Web View? so I can try that option.

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jason B Meidl

Happy to help!

Try something like this.

How to Enable Desktop Site in Chrome Android?

The desktop site view helps in viewing all hidden menus and options just like we see on the desktop. The font size and elements might look smaller since we are visiting a desktop site on the mobile phone.

Here are the steps to view the desktop site in chrome Android:

1. Launch the Chrome browser on Android.
    2. Open any website that you want to view in desktop mode.
    3. Tap on
    4.  for the menu options.
    5. Select the checkbox against the Desktop site.
    1. The page will automatically reload.
    2. The desktop site view will be displayed on the mobile phone.

If you want to switch back to the original mobile view, then just undo the checkbox on step #4. The page will reload and you will see the mobile site view.

Did that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Jason B Meidl
    Options

The view as Desktop worked! Thank you!

I wish tablets had the desktop version of web browsers and not mobile but glad we have this option!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jason b me

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Yes, I agree. Desktop on mobile/tablet would be fantastic.

• Kim Ryan
    Kim Ryan ✭✭
    edited 01/29/24
    Options

Hi,

I developed a dashboard using a web enabled form for a checklist.

On the PC Desktop where I built the dashboard everything looks great.

However when opened on any mobile tablet or cell device the desktop view nor the tablet view show the "form"

It only shows the form heading and an icon that one must click to open the form.

My staff on the floor using this for a checklist are frustrated.

With a PC Desktop view they could view the entire dashboard layout and checklists contents and submit in rapid fire.

Why? Why? Why? If we can't use Tablets to create simplistic solutions we won't be using Smartsheet.

FYI this is my second crack at it - after a year of complaints I redesigned forgetting the whole "icon" issue when translated into a mobile device app view.

Any hope at the end of this tunnel?