Data connector date changed between smartsheet and excel (created date)

I bring a lot of data into excel from smartsheet using the data connector (enterprise license). I usually keep the system field, Created (Date) in sheets so that I can see that updated data has been imported into excel. Tonight for the first time I updated data in a sheet with 1842 records from an oracle database and the created date for the new records was 06/26/22 10:27 PM

When I refreshed the connected table in excel the created date was 6/27/2022 2:27.

First time I've ever seen this. I modified data in row one from the sheet and refreshed the excel table again. The modification is there but the timestamp is still 4 hours off.

In my account settings the timezone is GMT-4 US/Eastern.

Not a big deal because I'm only using the timestamp as a secondary check but it is odd that this is the first time seeing this after many years.

All feedback is welcome. Thanks M

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Mike L.

The created date in smartsheet is stored as GMT/UTC = 0 time. The created date displays in your timezone, but the data isn't stored that way. A difference in Created dates pops up when your local timezone either has or hasn't crossed midnight yet and the GMT/UTC zone has not done the same. The time difference is only evident in the few hours where the 'date' is out of sync between the two timezones. My guess is that although you have been doing the upload for awhile, you might not have hit this window before - or you didn't notice it if you did. If the date is important to you an easy fix is to add a date helper column and add a Record Date automation off of a change in the Created field. The Record Date records and stores dates in your local time.

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Mike L.

The created date in smartsheet is stored as GMT/UTC = 0 time. The created date displays in your timezone, but the data isn't stored that way. A difference in Created dates pops up when your local timezone either has or hasn't crossed midnight yet and the GMT/UTC zone has not done the same. The time difference is only evident in the few hours where the 'date' is out of sync between the two timezones. My guess is that although you have been doing the upload for awhile, you might not have hit this window before - or you didn't notice it if you did. If the date is important to you an easy fix is to add a date helper column and add a Record Date automation off of a change in the Created field. The Record Date records and stores dates in your local time.

Kelly

• Mike L.
    Mike L. ✭✭✭

Very helpful thank you!!! I think you're right and I've not hit this window before. I usually upload data in the morning local time.