Returning a Value When an Item is a Child of a Parent That Has a Specific Name

Options

I need to create a formula that looks at all children (of varying levels) within a parent, and returns a specified name in a column for ALL children rows when the level 1 parent value is X.

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ahelleny

By "returns a specified name in a column" do you mean that it sets a cell value in the column for all child rows with a parent row value of X?

Can you add a screenshot of your row hierarchy structure?

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• ahelleny
    Options

What I'm trying to achieve is a sort of IF statement based on the parent/ancestral value for the cell. Something like, IF the highest level parent value = "Summary", THEN display "X" in the cell. I'm trying to do this to identify the summary section of each sheet (there are many of these sheets), so I can then use the value in the field as an identifier/filter in a report.

• Brent Wilson
    Brent Wilson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What about

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS(Description@row))=0, "X")

This would get you the top level

If you have things like Headers such as "Quarter" and indent the records under that you will have to change the IF to a higher number..

Something like

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS(Description@row))=1, "X")

You might also want to change the column to a check box field and rewrite the statement as

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS(Description@row))=0, 1)

then it will give you a fancy little check box on those top values

Brent C. Wilson, P.Eng, PMP, Prince2

Facilityy Professional Services Inc.

http://www.facilityy.com

• ahelleny
    Options

This got me part of the way there, but still trying to work through it to get the necessary end result. I also referenced this other discussion, but still haven't fully achieved my end goal. https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/74500/locating-the-parent-of-a-parent?irclickid=RwqwRwwQ3zQSWNsx%3A0Rqe1CuUkDwO80hy13n280&irgwc=1&Impact_source=affiliate&impact_partner=adgoal%20GmbH

Here is the current state of the sheet and the formulae I used to get there:

Level: =COUNT(ANCESTORS(ID@row))

Row#: =MATCH([Auto Number]@row, [Auto Number]:[Auto Number], 0)

Grandparent Row: =IF(Level@row = "1", PARENT(ID@row), (IF(Level@row = "2", PARENT(ID@row), IF(Level@row = "3", PARENT(ID@row)))))

My goal is to identify all rows within a hierarchy with a value I can use to filter a report to only show rows that are part of the Summary section of the sheet.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!