Function to calculate date of next Monday

Options

Hi all,

I'm trying to add a function in a summary date field that simply notes the date of the next Monday from today. It feels like it should be simple, but I'm struggling to wrap my head around the TODAY function.

Can anyone suggest a formula that might work?

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Karen Webber

I may have an approach that will work. Are you looking for a single cell that displays the next Monday on a rolling basis, or are you looking for the next Monday per row, and once that row date is displayed you want that Monday date to be fixed? I ask because the approach to these two scenarios are slightly different.

For the single cell rolling Monday, based off TODAY(), here is a formula. It takes advantage of the WEEKDAY function, and the fact that for WEEKDAY, Monday = 2. This formula must be in a DATE field.

For the first IF, I assumed if Today is Sunday, you want the next week's Monday, not the following day Monday. If it is the following day, the 8 would change to a 1.

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) < 2, TODAY() + 8, IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) >= 2, TODAY() + 9 - WEEKDAY(TODAY())))

Let me know if you need to fix the date instead of keeping it rolling.

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Karen Webber

I may have an approach that will work. Are you looking for a single cell that displays the next Monday on a rolling basis, or are you looking for the next Monday per row, and once that row date is displayed you want that Monday date to be fixed? I ask because the approach to these two scenarios are slightly different.

For the single cell rolling Monday, based off TODAY(), here is a formula. It takes advantage of the WEEKDAY function, and the fact that for WEEKDAY, Monday = 2. This formula must be in a DATE field.

For the first IF, I assumed if Today is Sunday, you want the next week's Monday, not the following day Monday. If it is the following day, the 8 would change to a 1.

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) < 2, TODAY() + 8, IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) >= 2, TODAY() + 9 - WEEKDAY(TODAY())))

Let me know if you need to fix the date instead of keeping it rolling.

Kelly

• Karen Webber
    Options

Hi @Kelly Moore, this is exactly what I needed, and you're a wizard. Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!