Conditional Formatting

Hi All,

I am trying to use conditional formatting to format a cell based on if the contents of the cell is greater than the contents of another cell in the same row. For Example if one column has expense info and another column has budget info how do i get the Expense cell to change format when higher than the budget. I dont see an option in Set Condition to check if greater than another cell.

Thanks,

Cinny

Best Answer

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Cinny Thomas

That function isn't available in the conditional formatting settings. To resolve that, you'll want to create a checkbox column with a formula in it that will check the box when the expense is higher than the budget. Then you create conditional formatting that formats whichever cell when that box is checked.

Let me know if you need additional information in setting that up and I can provide examples.

• @Mike TV

Sounds like a good way to work around my problem. I guess i have no way but to use workarounds. Thanks for your response.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Cinny Thomas

You can hide the checkbox helper column once it's set up. So everything will look like it would have if the actual setting you wanted in conditional formatting were there.