Smartsheet / Resource Management Integration

Options
Laura J
Laura J ✭✭✭✭
edited 07/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

We purchased Smartsheet and use a master project list on a single sheet to maintain our list of 250+ projects. We manually add these projects to Smartsheet's Resource Management, so team members can log time to these projects. Although both are Smartsheet products, they don't seem to integrate. So, we also manually export the Resource Management data to Excel so we can produce monthly graphs. We need to pass the time entry data to a Smartsheet, so we can put a dashboard over it. Has anyone figured out a solution for this? We worked with Smartsheet to get an estimate, but the estimate to integrate 2 Smartsheet products was extremely high. Seems like a simpler solution is out there. Would love to hear from anyone doing either or both of the following: 1) upload projects from a single Smartsheet master sheet into Resource Management and/or 2) pass Resource Management time entry back into a Smartsheet. Thanks in advance for your responses. Laura

Answers

• smartsheetdev.io
    Options

Hi @Laura J ,

I had worked many times with Smartsheet API but not with Resource Management API.

Looking at Resource Management API docs it should be possible to get the data that you require and populate the Smartsheet.

Ideally, I would need to have more details from you.

Feel free to email me at info@smartsheetdev.io and we can discuss from there.

• Laura J
    Laura J ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We would appreciate any help available. I will email at the address you provided.

• Laura J
    Laura J ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please let me know when you are available to discuss on a call with our API leader and I will coordinate the call. Thanks a bunch!

• Jez Akali
    Options

Hi both,

Did you come to a solution?

We're also trying to pass Resource Management time entry back into a Smartsheet to help with dashboards.

Thanks!

Jez

• Laura J
    Laura J ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have not. We have had several meetings with reps at Smartsheet, just not there yet.

• Dawn_ATX
    Dawn_ATX ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good afternoon y'all - we are having a similar issue. I'm trying to create workflow through Bridge to extrapolate the APPROVED hours in Resource Management back into Smartsheet. Is this even possible? Would you have to export that report from Resource Management and then upload it into Smartsheet in order for this work? How would that work month-over-month? I think if lots of folks are asking for this, it should be on the feature request roadmap somewhere as a high-priority.

• Laura J
    Laura J ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We finally got this to work. BIG SHOUT OUT to the 01/26/23 Bridge User Group. This was all the help we needed and we can now add new projects and update existing projects. If anyone figures out how to unarchive let me know. :)

• sallison
    sallison ✭✭✭
    Options

I am just getting started with Resource Manager - disappointed at the lack of support so far... Question, I thought RM would pull the allocated hours per resource into the project overview? Is that not the way it works? I cannot figure out how to connect the RM projects to my smartsheet plans, any help would be greatly appreciated

• Laura J
    Laura J ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It depends on how you set it up. We have a master project list that shows all 460 projects. But is is just a list. We create a workspace as needed for the larger projects so they can be managed with standard templates like the RACI, RAID, Project Plan, Dashboards, etc. However the smaller projects never get a workplace so we can't pass updates to Resource Management. We create the projects in RM using bridge to pass the project name, date opened, target end date, etc. I highly recommend the 01/26/23 Bridge User Group recording as it helped us get Bridge to work for entering new projects, updating existing projects, and archiving when complete - saved us about an hour a day. Good luck with Smartsheet. I know they have had some recent staffing issues, hopefully you can connect with the right people to help you out. This community is also great. If you want to post your issue as a new item, someone will answer pretty quickly. :)