How to add duration (in days) in the duration column using formula?

Options

I have planned duration and actual duration columns for project task activities. In trying to add the duration (in days - i.e. 1d, 3d, 30d etc) for the project tasks in the duration column using e.g. =SUM ([Actual Duration]:[Actual Duration]), the adding of duration does not work. I believe only numbers can be added. How is the work around to sum the durations of the tasks in days (down the column)?

Best Answer

• Amit Wadhwani
    Amit Wadhwani ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Peter

From what I know, the duration column is a project property and is calculated based on the project dates (start and finish). Alternatively, you can also auto populate the finish date based on start date and duration, but you cannot have a formula overwrite the duration column. A workaround could be hiding this project property column and create a new column formula.

Best Regards

Amit Wadhwani, Smartsheet Community Champion

Smartsheet CoE, Ignatiuz Software, Exton, PA

https://www.linkedin.com/in/amitinddr/

Did this answer help you? Show some love by marking this answer as "Insightful 💡" or "Awesome ❤️" and "Vote Up ⬆️"

Answers

• Amit Wadhwani
    Amit Wadhwani ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Peter

From what I know, the duration column is a project property and is calculated based on the project dates (start and finish). Alternatively, you can also auto populate the finish date based on start date and duration, but you cannot have a formula overwrite the duration column. A workaround could be hiding this project property column and create a new column formula.

Best Regards

Amit Wadhwani, Smartsheet Community Champion

Smartsheet CoE, Ignatiuz Software, Exton, PA

https://www.linkedin.com/in/amitinddr/

Did this answer help you? Show some love by marking this answer as "Insightful 💡" or "Awesome ❤️" and "Vote Up ⬆️"

• peter_July22
    Options

Hi Amit, thanks for the input. That makes sense. Let me try based the work-around based on what you suggested.

• Martin P
    Martin P ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Peter/Amit,

This is a design flaw surely? Not all projects work in days, my projects work in manhours.

Transposing project task duration using start & end dates is unfortunately of no use to me.

Surely the Gannt duration column can be the recipient of a sum without destabilising the whole thing?

I've found S/S to be wonderfully intuitive but this is a brick-wall for my PM needs.

Any workaround pls? Peter, did you manage progress any further?

Thanks,

Martin

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!