Resource Management

Options

To enable Resource Management of my worksheet I need to enable Dependencies, but when I do that I can´t change the End Date field in Card´s View. See below, that the End Date is disable for editing:

To enable this field I need to clear the duration field, but I need the End Date field enable all time. How can I solve this problem?

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Patricia123,

In further testing, I have another suggestion that may be more convenient. The reason why you aren't able to edit the "End Date" column from dependencies in the Card View is because this is connected to the "Duration" one. If you wish to edit the "End Date" column while in the Card View, you may do it by editing the "Duration" instead, this will apply changes automatically.

I hope this can be more helpful.

Cheers!

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Options

Hi @Patricia123,

By design, Project Columns used in Dependencies can't be edited in the Card View, when you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you!

With the current functionality there are a different approaches that you can take to accomplish what you intend:

1. You may switch to the Grid or Gantt views to edit the values in your "End Date" Column used in dependencies as needed
    2. You can disable dependencies for the time it takes you to make the appropriate edits in the Card View
    3. You can create duplicates of the Columns used in dependencies to mirror the information contained in there and then only display these in the Card View Settings - Note that if you take this approach, special attention needs to be paid so that the information in your Project Columns always reflect that of the ones in the Card View or the opposite. Otherwise, you may encounter discrepancies between columns at some point

I hope that any of these options can help you working with Dependencies and the Card View simultaneously.

Cheers!

Julio

• Patricia123
    edited 08/10/22
    Options

Julio thanks for your answer!!

I duplicated the End Date column and I used this new column in Dependencies. The problem is that if the End date changes I can´t copy the new value automatic to this new column. Is there any way to do this, since this column doesn´t accept formulas?

Thanks

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Patricia123,

In further testing, I have another suggestion that may be more convenient. The reason why you aren't able to edit the "End Date" column from dependencies in the Card View is because this is connected to the "Duration" one. If you wish to edit the "End Date" column while in the Card View, you may do it by editing the "Duration" instead, this will apply changes automatically.

I hope this can be more helpful.

Cheers!

Julio

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!