COUNTIF:CONTAINS formula help

Options

Hello!

I'm working on a formula to capture project start dates in each month. The formula I'm using is as follows: =COUNTIFS({Target Start Date}, (CONTAINS("January", @cell)), {Status}, ="In Progress", {Type}, ="Enterprise") I'm not getting an error message with this formula but it doesn't appear to be capturing any of the projects with a January start.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @anuelle

This formula should work for you, made assumption on the column names.

=COUNTIFS(Status:Status, "In Progress", Type:Type, "Enterprise", [Target Start Date]:[Target Start Date], MONTH(@cell) = 1)

Hope that helps.

Paul

• anuelle
    anuelle ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This doesn't appear to be working either. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the columns I'm referencing are on a separate sheet. Would that cause the error I'm having?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @anuelle

Yes, it will make a difference if you're looking into another sheet! You'll need to update each of Paul's [in-sheet ranges] with your own {Cross sheet ranges}, like so:

=COUNTIFS({Status}, "In Progress", {Type}, "Enterprise", {Target Start Date}, MONTH(@cell) = 1)

Sometimes you can get an error if the Start Date has text or blank cells, so you can wrap your MONTH portion in an IFERROR to get rid of that:

=COUNTIFS({Status}, "In Progress", {Type}, "Enterprise", {Target Start Date}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell), 0) = 1)

If this still hasn't worked, it would be helpful to know exactly what formula you've tried and what error message you're getting.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!