Workflow not working

Options

Hello,

I have a sheet that formulates each person's hire date anniversary and birth date anniversary. I have a workflow to notify specific users the day before each. However it has not been working and I cannot figure out why. The only thing I can think of is that each column has a column formula to determine the correct date (but they are formatted to show date).

Since they each had a formula ([hireday]@row+2022) and (Birthday@row+"/2022"), I tried making another column to just reference the date rather than a formula, but that did not work either. What can I do to help make this work?

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/15/22 Answer ✓
    Options

@Desertbird

The issue is that the formulas you have are creating values that LOOK like dates but are not actually date values.

First, update the data in your hireday and Birthday columns to be true date values. You can use the actual year of hire date and birth date those dates. Set the column properties to be restricted to date values only.

Then, for formulating the current year's hire date anniversaries and birthdays, we'll use the following formulas to create real date values:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(hireday@row), DAY(hireday@row))

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(Birthday@row), DAY(Birthday@row))

These formulas tell the system to construct a DATE value using the current year, the month from the date value in the hireday/Birthday columns, and the day from the date value in the hireday/Birthday columns.

Alternatively, if you want to hard-code the year, use =DATE(2022, MONTH(hireday@row), DAY(hireday@row))

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/15/22 Answer ✓
    Options

@Desertbird

The issue is that the formulas you have are creating values that LOOK like dates but are not actually date values.

First, update the data in your hireday and Birthday columns to be true date values. You can use the actual year of hire date and birth date those dates. Set the column properties to be restricted to date values only.

Then, for formulating the current year's hire date anniversaries and birthdays, we'll use the following formulas to create real date values:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(hireday@row), DAY(hireday@row))

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(Birthday@row), DAY(Birthday@row))

These formulas tell the system to construct a DATE value using the current year, the month from the date value in the hireday/Birthday columns, and the day from the date value in the hireday/Birthday columns.

Alternatively, if you want to hard-code the year, use =DATE(2022, MONTH(hireday@row), DAY(hireday@row))

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!