I need to record the date something is "closed" in a column, and then count the number of times on t

Options

I have a project where we will call something "closed", I then have an automation that records the date that "closed" was selected. I need to take that data and record the number of times closed happened on each date. My project will span about 60 days, so I'd need to know each time it happened on each date of the project. Any suggestions on how to capture this information?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Aviation Rob

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using a Report?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Aviation Rob
    Options

I need the data to be able to make a chart on a dashboard showing the progress, so a report, with my limited knowledge, would not be able to feed the dashboard in real time, rather than making multiple reports per day and then trying to pull that data into the dashboard. I'd like to automate it in real time.

• Neil Watson
    Neil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Aviation Rob I would do it this way:

1. Project sheet has a status column with "Closed" as an option, and automation to capture the date this occurred
    2. Separate summary sheet with dates that span your 60 day period
    3. #closed column counts the number of times for each day that a task was closed
    4. Develop a report from the summart sheet. This is where you can filter e.g. ignore zero or only show dates in the past
    5. Use the report as the data source for a chart

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!