I am pulling my hair out

Options

I am trying to look at data in column Location and if it says Annually , put a 1. if it says Not in last year ,put a 2 and Not in last 2 years put a 3. This is the formula that I used but I keep getting #unparseable. What am I doing wrong. It works fine in excel.

=IF([Location]1="Annually",1,IF([Location]= "Not in last year",2,IF([Location]= "Not in last 2 years",3, NA)

Answers

• Mr. Chris
    Mr. Chris ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/13/22
    Options

Hello @Kelly 243

Give this a shot and let me know if it works for you:

=IF(Location@row = "Annually", 1, IF(Location@row = "Not in last year", 2, IF(Location@row = "Not in last 2 years", 3, "NA")))

• Porzel Hans
    Porzel Hans ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi there,

Another approach to solve this problem would be to rather use the function VLOOKUP instead of boxed IF's.

It would have the advantage that you can extend the list easily if you get more and more different values.

When you are using this VLOOKUP formula, then please pay attention to the $-sign to address absolut (not just relative) as well, please don't forget the 4th-term which should be always "false".

To keep this solution absolute clean you could put your data list (lookup_table) to a different sheet (but you are not supposed to).

Hope I could attribute a viable solution.

Best regards

Hans P. ... from Germany

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!