What do these formulas mean?

A metrics sheet was designed for my group with the following formulas embedded in the cells. I understand all except the $10. The reference links to the status column of a tracking sheet along with the program manager's name.

Also, this formula links back to the same sheet.

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated!

Thank you very much,

YCRock

Best Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Rocky

The $10 is designating a specific row (row 10) in the sheet. It is looking at row 10 of the Value column on this sheet to match against the Status range on your other sheet.

The COUNTIFS says

COUNT your other sheet rows When a row Matches Row10 of Value column from metrics sheet to Status column of the sheet and the Program range (column) of other sheet also matches your Metrics value at row.

Does that help?

Kelly

• Rocky
    Rocky ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks. I'll need to understand what is meant by the absolute value of 10 in both formulas

Thank you very much,

YCRock

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Rocky

It means use row 10 and only row 10

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Rocky

I hope you're well and safe!

It's an Absolute Reference.

Absolute reference (always refers to that specific cell, row, or column)

Type a $ symbol in front of the column name, row number or both.=$[Column A]$1

=[Column B]$1

=$[Column C]1

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Rocky

The $10 is designating a specific row (row 10) in the sheet. It is looking at row 10 of the Value column on this sheet to match against the Status range on your other sheet.

The COUNTIFS says

COUNT your other sheet rows When a row Matches Row10 of Value column from metrics sheet to Status column of the sheet and the Program range (column) of other sheet also matches your Metrics value at row.

Does that help?

Kelly

• Rocky
    Rocky ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks. I'll need to understand what is meant by the absolute value of 10 in both formulas

Thank you very much,

YCRock

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Rocky

It means use row 10 and only row 10

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!