Today() Update when rows added through Automation

Options
SJ Sellers
SJ Sellers ✭✭✭✭
edited 10/12/22 in Formulas and Functions

The documentation for the Today() Function lists the conditions under which a formula using Today() will and will not update to the current date.

TODAY Function | Smartsheet Learning Center

There is no mention of what happens when rows are added to a sheet from another sheet via a MOVE or COPY automation. It does say that if rows are added via a FORM SUBMISSION, the Today() function updates. I would assume a similar behavior - but I need confirmation.

Also worth noting is that my formula is a Sheet Summary Formula. No mention in the documentation if that alters behavior.

Does anyone know definitively what behavior to expect?

I am aware of the workaround that uses a "Today Helper" column coupled with daily automation to populate it. I am trying to avoid using that because my formula also evaluates the Created Date and Modified Date. I don't want to update every row each day because that action contaminates the Modified Date.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @SJ Sellers

I can confirm that a Move Row or a Copy Row workflow that adds a new row to your source sheet will update the Today Function in that sheet, including if that function is in a formula in a Sheet Summary field.

Thank you for your feedback around the Help Article - I will pass this along to our Content team!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @SJ Sellers

I can confirm that a Move Row or a Copy Row workflow that adds a new row to your source sheet will update the Today Function in that sheet, including if that function is in a formula in a Sheet Summary field.

Thank you for your feedback around the Help Article - I will pass this along to our Content team!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• SJ Sellers
    SJ Sellers ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. -

Thank you for your response!! I created a little test just to be sure and in the test, it is working as I had hoped. I appreciate you confirming here as well!!

Best, SJ

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!