Pie Chart - Summarized Columns in a Sheet Summary Report

Options
NBW501
NBW501 ✭✭✭
edited 10/17/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi! I am trying to create pie chart from the summarized columns in a Sheet Summary Report. It allows me to create other types of charts with the data from the columns, but not specifically from the totaled summaries in each column.

See image below: I would like a pie chart with 2, 22, 3, 2 from the summary row in each column. Is this possible?

Answers

• NBW501
    NBW501 ✭✭✭
    Options

A view of the image would be helpful :)

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @NBW501

The Summary data from a Report can only be used as a source for the Chart Widget if it's the first Grouping of the Summary.

This means that the top Total line cannot be used as the source, nor can a second or third Grouping.

In order to map this data you would need at least one Grouping applied. If you simply need the total, I would recommend ensuring that each row has an identical value on it (e.g. "Milestone") and then Group by the identical value! Once you have a first layer of Grouping/Summary, it will have a repeat row with the same data points that can now be mapped in a Chart.

See the original announcement post here: Create a chart from reports with grouping and summary

Cheers,

Genevieve

• NBW501
    NBW501 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi! Yes, this makes sense; however, I don't think it solves my issue...I posed a different question below to see if there's a different solution?

I am looking to create a pie chart that shows the total number of milestones on track, in progress, not started, etc. across multiple 20 sheets. I have all the same formulas in the Sheet Summary tab across all the sheets, and they are pulled into one report. Is it possible to create a single pie chart to represent these across al the plans?

Thanks for your help!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @NBW501

In both cases I would recommend the following solution:

• Add a helper Summary Field that has identical data in each of your sheets.
    • Create a Sheet Summary Report to bring all your data in one place.
    • Group that Report by the identical Summary Field, so that you have one Grouping
    • Summarize the columns/fields you want totals of

Then since your Report has one layer of both Grouping and Summary, the Chart Widget can read that second line beneath the Total.

Here's an example:

Notice how I have both a "Total" row at the top of the Report and a Grouped section? This means that the Chart can now read the first Grouping (which contains the exact same data):

Cheers!

Genevieve

• NBW501
    NBW501 ✭✭✭
    Options

Genevieve, thank you SO MUCH! I really appreciate the help - it's exactly what I needed!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Wonderful! I'm glad I could help 🙂