Calendar in Grid View

This discussion was created from comments split from: Calendar View.

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @betinajessen,

The layout that you propose can be really time/resource consuming as you'd need to manually insert each column for each day and configure it as a date type column so that the information contained can be used in the Calendar view.

If you are building your sheet from scratch, I would advice to use the layout below (where the absentee contact is a Contact Column and "Holiday start" and "Holiday end" are Date ones) instead, as this will allow you to easily represent each resource holiday request as a task or bar in the Calendar view, each week day will be visible on the Calendar View so there doesn't seem to be a major data loss just by adapting the sheet layout.

Note that I've added a simple =[Absentee contact]@row Column formula in the Primary Column as this will be these are the values displayed in the task bars of the Calendar view. You can add values as needed in your particular case:

Note that you can optionally activate dependencies in your project so that calculating the request dates can be a more automated task:

I hope that this suggestion can help you achieving what you intend.

Cheers!

Julio

Answers

• betinajessen
    edited 10/15/22

Hi Genevieve

I would like to set up something similar as shown in the screenshot below in Smartsheet. Dates for the rest of the summer to be shown in columns (vertically) and employee name in rows (horizontally). Once I have set this up on Smartsheets, would it be possible to switch to calendar view and in a nice format see which employee is on leave when? I realise that 2023 calendar view needs to have a date range (start and end date) so I am not sure if I will be able to achieve what I intend to. Please advise and provide any tweaks/suggestions so that I can set up my smartsheet accordingly. Thanks!

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @betinajessen,

The layout that you propose can be really time/resource consuming as you'd need to manually insert each column for each day and configure it as a date type column so that the information contained can be used in the Calendar view.

If you are building your sheet from scratch, I would advice to use the layout below (where the absentee contact is a Contact Column and "Holiday start" and "Holiday end" are Date ones) instead, as this will allow you to easily represent each resource holiday request as a task or bar in the Calendar view, each week day will be visible on the Calendar View so there doesn't seem to be a major data loss just by adapting the sheet layout.

Note that I've added a simple =[Absentee contact]@row Column formula in the Primary Column as this will be these are the values displayed in the task bars of the Calendar view. You can add values as needed in your particular case:

Note that you can optionally activate dependencies in your project so that calculating the request dates can be a more automated task:

I hope that this suggestion can help you achieving what you intend.

Cheers!

Julio